Public Liability Insurance.

Simply Business

Simply Business

Public Liability : £1,000,000

View our policy details


Thursday 13 December 2012

Repairing an outhouse roof.


This was nasty to say the least. The joists had rotted away so badly that the roof was sagging and the owner was scared to go into his shed for fear that the roof would fall on him.




I carefully removed the slates, sarking and rotten timbers.

I was quite lucky here because although the joists were well rotted they were still intact, so I was able to copy them and fix them into place in a very short time.

 
With the frame in place I'm now able to get stuck in and attach the new sarking.

The sarking is attached and my work here is almost finished. My son is a roofer and has agreed to felt and reslate the roof. I'll add a pic of the finished roof later.

Now to the front of the shed. The owner had been using it for storage of garden tools etc for years without a door, and asked me if I would do this as well seeing as I was there.
As you can see I've put a frame in the gap, adding strength to the roof at the same time.

He now has a very useable outbuilding thats watertight and safe, and cost under £300 for my part + what he paid for the slating.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no, it's totally rotten! It would be no surprise if that roof just collapsed, had you not repaired it. I see trees around and hanging over the roof. That must be one of the reasons why it deteriorated. The falling and decomposing leaves on the roof probably caused the moss and eventual deterioration. Noreen @ TownAndCountryRoofingWA.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noreen I'm doing another one at the moment much worse than this one. I think the main cause was a blocked downpipe allowing rainwater to flow over the edges of the valley, and as you say, moss and fallen leaves all add to the problem. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. them fresh dill and parsley everyday, sometimes two times a day. She hopes that she can nurture and care for them till they grow in to butterflies. pvc fence

    ReplyDelete